We all know that moving is a stressful experience, from start to finish. It is also one that you do not have to do very often in your life, so the logistics and cost can become overwhelming very quickly. One thing to watch for as you prepare for your move is common moving scams that can be easy to fall for and that can really cost you. Here are 5 tips to help you avoid those common moving scams so that you can complete the process smoothly, while protecting your belongings and your wallet at the same time:
Tips to Avoid Common Moving Scams
- Read all of the fine print: Before you sign a contract with a moving company, make sure to read the entire contract, including all of the fine print. You should also think about what is NOT included in the contract. Very often, moving companies who are looking for opportunities to take advantage of customers include vague language and leave open the possibility for raising the price if/when some logistical aspect of the move changes. This can be a small issue but can cost you money that you are not expecting to spend. Look for very specific contracts and ask lots of questions about the cost contingency plans.
- Get professional references and recommendations: Do your homework and gather professional references about your moving company. You can ask them directly for references, look online and ask friends, family and co-workers for their recommendations.
- Plan ahead: The more time you have to read contracts, talk to moving companies and think through the process, the better chance you have of sniffing out a potential scam. Try not to leave this major decision to the last minute.
- Do not pay the full amount up front: Most moving companies require a deposit before your move. Under no circumstances should you agree to pay the full amount until you have your possessions in your new home.
- Ask to speak with the company’s moving coordinator: A reputable moving company will likely have someone on staff who handles the logistics of client moves and talking to them can give you a real sense of the process and be telling if the company does not have someone in this role.
All Points Moving & Storage is a trusted and family owned moving company that has been helping individuals and families move for more than seventy years. Our team can make the moving process seamless, and even easy for you and your family. We specialize in residential moves and focus on customer service, protecting your belongings and ensuring a positive overall experience. Our contracts are clear and transparent, and we have countless customer recommendations. For more information, call All Points Moving & Storage today at 1-866-421-9490.