Moving into a new home is a lot of work! Packing (and unpacking) boxes, coordinating movers, cleaning the old house (and the new one) and the endless details related to selling your old home and buying/renting your new one–by the time you find yourself in your new home, you may just want to put your feet up and take a break. Before you do, here are 7 things you should do ASAP before you get settled in!
Things to Do Before Settling Into Your New Home
- Change the locks: Even if you feel comfortable about the sellers of your new home, it is always wise to change the locks when you move into a new home. It is impossible to know how many people have keys to your home laying around and you can have peace of mind for the very low cost of a locksmith!
- Inspect Your Belongings: Before you pay the moving company, make sure that you have all of your belongings and that they are all intact. Check your inventory list with boxes that are delivered and if you notice a discrepancy, alert the moving company immediately.
- Clean: Before you move all of your furniture and other personal belongings, it is a great idea to clean your new home from top to bottom, while it is empty. The bathrooms and kitchen, pantry, closets are obvious areas to focus on. Consider washing the windows, cleaning the carpet, running empty cycles of the dishwasher and washing machine, and replacing all of the air filters in the home for a fresh start!
- Paint: Another task that is much easier to complete without furniture is painting. Give the rooms in your home a fresh new coat of paint before you move in.
- Think about optimal home organization: Spend time thinking about how you want to organize closets, pantries and other flexible space in your home with shelving, hooks, or other organizational tools. It will be much more difficult to do this once everything is unpacked and you might find that it never gets done!
- Check Mechanical Systems and Equipment: Because you do not have the history for the HVAC unit or other mechanical systems, it is always a good idea to have someone come out and take a look. Get referrals from your new neighbors, old neighbors or even your realtor.
- Make the beds and sleep: Moving day is one of the most tiring days of your life and moving itself is stressful. Make those beds and make sure that you get a good night’s sleep so that you have energy for all the unpacking ahead!
All Points Moving & Storage can help make your move efficient and worry-free. Our team will take great care to protect your belongings during the move, so that you can focus on the other important things related to this transition. Call our team at 866-421-9490 for more information or to request a quote.