When you are preparing for a move, one of the most stressful aspects can be anticipating how your children will handle the transition. Specifically, you may be concerned about whether your kids will make new friends in your new neighborhood. You can help your kids settle in and feel comfortable in their new environment in many different ways. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
Tips to Help Your Children Adjust to a Move
- Visit the new neighborhood ahead of time: Spend as much time as you can in your new neighborhood before you move. Take walks in the area, explore any walking trails, or take a few bike rides. This makes the area more familiar for your kids and you can see what might peak their interest and emphasize the parts of the neighborhood that are of particular interest to your kids.
- Reach out to other parents in the area: Use your networks to get to know other parents with kids of similar ages as yours. This may allow for a playdate or two before you move in, depending on the age of your children. If you have trouble finding parents in the neighborhood, consider asking your soon to be neighbors to help connect you.
- Spend time outside of your new home: When you move into your new home, spend as much time as you can outside. If you have a front porch, spend time there, or just simply in your front yard. This will help you meet neighbors walking by and you can help with introductions for your kids.
- Visit a nearby park or playground: Visit a playground or park that is in close proximity to your new home. You are likely to find others in the area that have kids the same age. This will help both you and your kids adjust to the new area!
- Look for activities in your neighborhood: Your new neighborhood may have community activities and events that might be appealing. If your neighborhood has a pool, there might be events there during the summer. Some neighborhoods have family 5Ks, food truck events or neighborhood cookouts that are great places for families to meet.
Let All Points Moving & Storage Minimize the Stress of your next Move
Moving can be a stressful time but it can also be a great opportunity for a new beginning. Focusing on helping your family adjust to the new area can decrease their overall stress (and yours). All Points Moving & Storage can focus on packing, moving and unpacking your belongings so that you can focus on getting you and your children settled. Our dedicated staff works hard to make your move as stress free as possible. For more information about our residential moving services, call 866-421-9490.