When you are planning a move, you likely have a long list of things to do to get ready. One of the tasks that should be near the top of your list is transferring your utilities from your old home to your new one. This process can be a bit tedious and time consuming. Here are five easy steps to follow that will make the process easy and save you a headache (or two).
Steps to Help When Transferring Utilities to Your New Home
- Create a List – Make a list of all utilities that need to be moved and include your account numbers. For many, this includes cable, satellite, internet, water, phone, sewer, gas, and electric. Have this checklist ready and available when you make the calls to the utility companies. Getting organized will save you time during the process.
- Decide When to Switch Utilities – Decide what day you need utilities shut off in one home and when you will need them activated in your new home. Mapping out a schedule that is convenient for you will help when you speak to the utility companies and minimize the stress on you and your family.
- Pay all Unpaid Balances – Make sure that you have paid any outstanding balances so that the process is not held up for this reason.
- Call Early – Call your utility companies as soon as possible to make sure that you can schedule the disconnection and activation dates when convenient for you. This also gives you time if there are questions or problems that you need to sort out before you actually transfer your service. Ideally, you should notify the utility companies several weeks before you make your move.
- Gather Information About Your New Home – Look into your new home’s HOA fees. It is possible that it could cover trash pick-up or water/sewer. Also, consider having a home energy audit completed in your new home to get a sense of energy efficiency and whether there are any problems you need to address.
Partner with All Points on Your Next Move
All Points Moving & Storage can help make your next move smooth and efficient. We are a family owned moving company that pays special attention to the experience of our customers. Our staff is professional, knowledgeable and has extensive experience with all aspects of the moving process. We understand that moving can be overwhelming and stressful. We strive to take away all of the stress so that you can focus on other important tasks like transferring your utilities. For more information or to schedule a free estimate, call us today at 866-421-9490.