Once you have been through the moving process and spend that first night in your new home, you begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and can start to feel a sense of relief. You likely have boxes in every room of the house when you move in and getting settled is your first priority. Here are some tips for getting settled quickly so that you can enjoy your new space and put the move behind you!
Tips to Help You Settle into Your New Home
- Clean First: Before you start unpacking all of your belongings, spend time doing a deep clean of your new home including the kitchen, bathroom, floors and carpets. Cleaning is easier (and faster) if you do not have to clean around your furniture, beds, etc.
- Think Safety First: Change batteries in each smoke detector, install a carbon monoxide detector, and change the exterior locks on your home so that you can feel confident about your family’s safety in your new home. Locate the circuit breaker, fire extinguisher and water shut off, so that you can respond to an emergency should one arise.
- Focus on bedrooms and kitchen: Unpack based on high priority items. If you have children, it might be smart to focus on their bedroom(s) first so that you they can acclimate quickly and get much needed sleep. Your kitchen is another room that can be tackled early on, so that you can begin getting back on schedule with your meals. This helps your whole family feel like they are at home quickly.
- Resume your routine: Unpacking will take weeks, so try to get back into your normal routine as soon as possible. Schedule time to unpack each day and go from room to room so that you feel a sense of accomplishment when you finish each area.
- Celebrate and explore: Moving to a new home is a very exciting time. Take time out of your schedule to explore your new neighborhood, meet your neighbors and celebrate this new time of your life!
Residential Moving Company, CT
All Points Moving & Storage specializes in helping you and your family have a smooth move from one residential property to another. We understand that this time can feel stressful for your family, so we can take over some of the difficult parts of the process. We are a family owned company and an authorized Mayflower agent based in South Windsor, CT, with more than 50 years of experience serving our community. Our team is ready to help you every step of the way. Call us today at 866-421-9490 to schedule a time for a free estimate!